On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Ken Dreyer <ktdre...@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
> <marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although I wasn't around at the time, I would think it either had to do
> with
> > a higher probabilty for uniqueness with a three char username or the
> risk of
> > brute force attacks on shorter usernames?
>
> Thank you. Do you think this is still valid? In other words, would you
> take a patch that drops the username limit from 3 to 2? To address any
> brute-force concerns, maybe the password minimum character limit
> should be increased.

I agree, I'm quite sure such a patch would be accepted :-)

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Peter Kjellerstedt
> <peter.kjellerst...@axis.com> wrote:
> > You might want to consider making this configurable, given that you
> cannot
> > influence what user names are already in use
>
> Gitorious has so many configuration options already, so perhaps we
> should just change the limit from 3 to 2 and reduce the number of code
> paths to test?

Agreed.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
> <marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Side note: we're going to have to make some changes to how usernames are
> > validated when using an external authentication provider (like LDAP)
> anyway.
> > We currently substitute any dots in usernames with a dash, but the
> problem
> > here is that this is a lossy process. We have seen LDAP directories which
> > use both dashes and dots. One thing to do could be to be more liberal
> when
> > using external authentication systems; do any of you have any thoughts on
> > this - eg. what kind of real-world use cases we will need in this regard?
>
> Good question. I support Gitorious for a multi-realm Active Directory
> environment. Currently Gitorious' Kerberos+LDAP authentication is only
> enabled for one of the domains, but down the road I want to open it up
> to support users from multiple domains. This will entail supporting
> Gitorious usernames with "@" signs. I've been meaning to look into
> what exactly is blocking "@" signs in Gitorious - I wasn't sure if the
> restriction is related to Rails or not.

Thanks for the input. The only restriction I still remember the motivation
for wrt usernames is the dot: Rails treats dots anywhere in a URL
specially, I think because of the convention of using it to specify a
format. If you'd care experimenting with allowing and using @'s in
usernames I'd love to hear how this works for you.

Cheers,
- Marius