On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
<marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although I wasn't around at the time, I would think it either had to do with
> a higher probabilty for uniqueness with a three char username or the risk of
> brute force attacks on shorter usernames?

Thank you. Do you think this is still valid? In other words, would you
take a patch that drops the username limit from 3 to 2? To address any
brute-force concerns, maybe the password minimum character limit
should be increased.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerst...@axis.com> wrote:
> You might want to consider making this configurable, given that you cannot
> influence what user names are already in use

Gitorious has so many configuration options already, so perhaps we
should just change the limit from 3 to 2 and reduce the number of code
paths to test?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
<marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Side note: we're going to have to make some changes to how usernames are
> validated when using an external authentication provider (like LDAP) anyway.
> We currently substitute any dots in usernames with a dash, but the problem
> here is that this is a lossy process. We have seen LDAP directories which
> use both dashes and dots. One thing to do could be to be more liberal when
> using external authentication systems; do any of you have any thoughts on
> this - eg. what kind of real-world use cases we will need in this regard?

Good question. I support Gitorious for a multi-realm Active Directory
environment. Currently Gitorious' Kerberos+LDAP authentication is only
enabled for one of the domains, but down the road I want to open it up
to support users from multiple domains. This will entail supporting
Gitorious usernames with "@" signs. I've been meaning to look into
what exactly is blocking "@" signs in Gitorious - I wasn't sure if the
restriction is related to Rails or not.

- Ken