This seems a good candidate for a thoughtful case study, especially
appropriate during the International Year of the Mountains. I am amazed
that mountains symbolize essential communications sites for cell towers
and other hardware, yet the people dwelling in those same mountains
seldom seem able to reap the benefits (economic, technological) in their
own indigenous communities, even in industrialized countries. The
advantages of modern ICTs seem to skip over them. Perhaps Martha Davies
could comment on this Andean example, since she has done so much to help
bring ICTs to local communities in Peru.