There are those who need help (resources, ideas, dollars, etc.), those
who have these resources, and intermediaries who can connect the two.

Dear World Wide Friends,

I agree with Mr. Levy. "Our goal should not be to create forums for
collaboration, which already proliferate, but an actual collaboration."
However, I feel that action will only come as the result of the
collective commitments and responsibilities of individuals.

While the United Nations has the potential to be a massive intermediary,
the Internet makes it possible for anyone to be a broker that connects
"help" with those who might put it to work.

My organization models this concept in a unique way.  We create GIS maps
of Chicago showing poverty concentrations and indices of need (poorly
performing schools is one).  We maintain a database of non-school
tutoring/mentoring programs and map the location of these to show where
they are and where there are voids.  We maintain a library of links to
organizations all over the world that have information that stakeholders
can use to build and sustain tutor/mentor programs.

Finally,  we attempt to educate anyone who looks at our information
about common needs of all tutor/mentor programs, such as volunteers,
training, IT support, dollars, etc.  Our marketing intends to draw any
stakeholder to this information so that resource providers become
partners in distributing help to every existing tutor/mentor programs
and leaders in filling voids where there are no programs.

We started our effort with 7 volunteers and remain a small non-profit.
Anyone, in any part of the world can duplicate this process, creating a
database of people who are providing a needed service in some location
of the world and connecting that group with people who could be
providing the resources.

While the United Nations might provide some leadership to this, I doubt
that they will ever provide detailed maps and leadership that distribute
needed resources on an on-going basis to the places where these
resources are most needed.  That responsibility has to be taken by
hundreds, or thousands of individuals and organizations who inventory
what they have to offer and make a real commitment to bridge the divides
that separate us and create a better world for our children.

I hope that our model provides some inspiration for the leaders (big and
small) who participate in this forum.

Daniel F. Bassill, L.H.D.
President
Cabrini Connections