>> * Week 2: How much bandwidth is necessary to have a real impact on
>>    development... and why?

First of all, I admit to having no first-hand, real-life, in the field
experience in non-US environments, but perhaps I can extrapolate from
experiences with our local school district.  Originally we networked it
with 64kbps ISDN circuits for each school.  That easily supported
schools with 50-100 PCs.  Of course, the PC's weren't in constant use
and when they were used sometimes they weren't accessing the Internet.

Dipak Basu wrote:

> For our target locations we have "standardized" on VSAT links with 64
> kbps uplink/512 kbps downlink. This serves LANs of 10 PCs or less.  For
> smaller 2 to 3 person project sites we are using RBGANs with
> 32kbps/128kbps. These are desired VSAT/RBGAN rates. Our usual
> experience has been 50% to 75% of these numbers based on contention
> ratios.

This looks really good. I don't know the costs of the VSAT service, but
512k/64k seems like pretty good bandwidth -- maybe even more than enough
bandwidth for a village to have great email, pretty good web access, and
even a little bit of VoIP.  The email & web access would benefit quite a
bit by the use a $500-$1000 linux server acting as a local email server
and web cache.

The interesting question to me is: what is the minimum monthly service
fee that a VSAT and ISP provider could charge?  In the US and some other
locations there is a certain amount of satellite-based residential
Internet Access for about $100/month. Could a village economy,
including any central government based services, afford this $100/month?

   -- Jim