I'd just like to emphasize again the assumption "Connectivity for All"
would infer that there's something worthwhile to be connected to. Too
often I think we focus on the technologies. Too often we are distracted
by the lure of how much easier, or faster, or cheaper, "things" can be
done by PDAs, broadband, handhelds... But what rigorous analyses and
debates do we witness about the actual products that should be
"facilitated" by these technologies? I believe that we can easily be
misled by the sex-appeal of new technologies. I believe computers are
still hard to use for most people because they were first a technology
and secondly a solution -- built by technologists. We need to reverse
the thinking here. Get plain people to speak out for what they do, or
want to do, and then let us focus on throwing some suggestions and
prototypes around to see if, frankly, there's a reason to chase after
connectivity at all.

In Ghana, where we run the largest private technology center in Africa,
with over 1,500 visitors daily, the demand for connectivity is clear.
But two hours outside of Accra, a digital village lays fallow -- the
internet connection has been dropped from lack of, what? interest,
affordability, applicability? What's the need for connectivity when most
of the content and services are not customized, or developed by the
communities that they seek to serve? In Ghana, there's a crisis in
telecenters, or at least most of them, because no one is really thinking
to actually craft services online for Ghanaians. Yesterday I took a poll
at the Ghana cybercafe association meeting, and most cybercafes have
their home page set to Yahoo! Yet in Ghana, we suffer to pay our bills,
we suffer to find up-to-date telephone directories, we suffer to get
notices about upcoming events, we suffer to find inventory for car parts
and more...There's a huge opportunity to massage and facilitate the flow
of information here -- I just don't see the debate focussed on what the
information needs to be. We all talk about rural connectivity, but how
many of us have actually sat around and had a couple of conversations
with villagers about what that is, or what it means to them?

In perfunctory discussions with farmers, "what information do you use or
need" they clearly want price information. Not world cocoa prices. No,
they want to know what a bowl of tomatoes sold for yesterday in the
neighboring market. It's a no-brainer -- a pure information exercise.
They just want some extra knowledge so that they can keep a few more
cedis in their pocket when bartering with the traders. There are a few
projects I've found in Africa trying this, but I'm amazed that the
development community, the technology community, all of us, haven't got
thirty of these services up and running across similar markets and
sharing ideas about how best they apply. Too often well-intentioned
people travel around communities to "showcase" ICT projects and services
on health and agriculture. But when challenged, what's really out there
that's simple to use and truly meaningful to the intended stakeholders?
I fear it's little. And who's out there learning from communities,
rather than showcasing things to them? I've seen this "enthusiasm"
before with the dotcom boom in the states. What's possible
technologically gets us all excited, a few ideas follow to exploit the
technology, then after a year or two we dump the silly bits and get down
to listening to what people want. It's the same with websites, digital
cameras, phones and more.

So here are my areas of focus for the future:

KEY QUESTIONS:

> 1. What new "high impact" technologies are on the 3-year horizon? Who
> (exactly) needs to do what (concretely) to make those technologies
> widely available?

Forget technology, think services. We'll build the tools to meet the
challenge. We've already got loads of great technology that's
under-utilized. I bet you cybercafes in Ghana would be able to afford
the new cheap VSATs coming if people actually found more "useful stuff
to do" than only email. Occupancy and prices would increase and the
telecenter model would become sustainable. I think the web and SMS could
be "high impact" if only they were used appropriately. DSL in urban
areas will reduce cost and transform connectivity in major cities.
Biased, but a necessary development for corporations seeking affordable
access (because the phone companies own the only cheap access (SAT-3)).

> 2. What's the most valuable area for technology development? Voice
> recognition? Cheap broadband delivery? Cheap hand-helds (under $50)?

Technology focuses on 1) the interface to information
(computer/pda/phone/paper/pen) and 2) the method (satellite, WI-FI,
fiber-optic, twisted copper). Rather than focussing on whether it's held
in a hand, up to an ear, or in front of you on a desk -- focus on what
people actually want to see/use. Let WAP be a lesson to all of us for
now, that all new technology doesn't drive usage -- only a few truly
revolutionary tech inventions have opened up new ways of communicating
(TCP/IP?).

> 3. Where should we focus our efforts during the coming 3 years? On ICT
> policy? Creating ICT projects with revenue-generation models that are
> quickly self-supporting? Demonstrating the value of ICT to developing
> country communities?

Provide telecenters (who are the current modern schools and libraries in
this context) with services and products that people will use. Encourage
mediation of services either through individuals or through traditional
forms of media distribution (broad not narrow cast). Let communities
demonstrate value to us, not us to them. Policy is crucial to opening up
markets for innovation and attracting investment, and protecting risk.
But governments are the last people to act as product developers -- they
must encourage that activity through clear and clean legislation (VOIP
in Ghana for example).

> 4. What levels of access should we be able to achieve by 2007 in each of
> the major under-served regions? Who (exactly) must do what (concretely)
> to attain them?

Let the local community determine what access it wants, driven by the
services that access will enable. That will determine the spread of
connectivity. Nobody went out and insisted on mobile phone penetration
in these markets. I belive that communities and individuals will be
incentivised to generate revenues to pay for what they want. Like
television, access is subsidized through advertising and sponsorship.
That model may still be appropriate as a way of mitigating cost. (Think
fertilizer or transport company sponsoring the market price weekly
update).

> 5. What funding models should we develop over the next 3 years? Projects
> with business plans that provide self-sustainability? Support from
> multilateral corporations? Venture capital funds for ICT and
> development?

We must somehow create an environment where local entrepreneurs can take
some risks in product development. Right now life is too tight to throw
cash around playing with some "possible" wins. They need probable wins.
Or they need to be subsidized to get there. Business Incubators, project
funding, grants, loans to local entrepeneurs should be encouraged, and
let's aim for a 20% success rate. The silly money that characterized
dotcom enabled an enormously creative period. I wouldn't suggest
anything to that scale, or that silliness, but we need to replicate some
of that type of lubricant to allow local people to feel they can try new
things without losing their life savings in the process. Local venture
capital firms are excellent proxies for international funds -- but we
need to make it affordable for them to do small deals (what
characterizes most ICT innovation startups). I think incubators
(Infodev?) that assist in the management and professional support could
be paired with private funding to stimulate this creativity. Let the
"national" entrepreneurs cluster in their natural urban bias, and then
mandate a percentage of funding to be directed for projects that serve
other communities.