Steven,

Our NGO has experimented with a variety of technologies in Uganda over
the years, including HF radio data for email (using Codan and Pactor II)
and GSM data.  We are now testing a hybrid solution that uses a PCI
receive-only satellite card, together with GSM data, using an Ericsson
Fixed Cellular Terminal FCT 221m for connecting rural schools. To make
the most efficient use of such a connectivity solution there should be a
server with good web caching.  We are using SchoolAxxess
<www.advancedinteractive.com/schoolweb/>. If you will check back with me
in a few weeks I may be able to give you some results of our testing,
and costs involved.

Daniel Stern
www.uconnect.org