For protecting human rights, vis a vis repressive governments,
anonymity, many of us agree, is key.

I had the fascinating, unsettling experience of working in a country
last year in the tumultuous months preceding a coup d'etat. Virtually
all media outlets were forcibly closed, journalists were harassed and
silenced, and foreign news entities were expelled. People needed to tune
in to foreign news agencies to hear reports on their own country. The
international communications channel was the Internet. The President
disparaged the "Internet politicians" publicly and threatened to shut
down the Net, but ultimately could do little to stop the phenomenon.

If the Government in this case had had more advanced snooping ability
(as, say, China I imagine must have), they could have identified the
so-called 'Internet politicians' and silenced them.

For this reason I am a believer in highly-encrypted peer-to-peer (P2P)
models of collaboration and communications that are emerging. I promote
these to counterparts when I get the chance. Encrypted P2P can keep the
international channel open and offer greater security of communications.

Yes, they can be used by 'bad people' too. Still, if we agree that
networks are smarter than individuals, getting the people and trends
that we would like to see grow, securely networked, is a good step in my
book, and outweighs the potential downsides.