On 9/23/04, Shubhranshu Choudhary asked:
> Brian, Could you tell us more about encrypted P2P communication. (I am
> not a technical person). Thanks in advance.

Hi Shubhranshu,

Peer-to-peer (P2P) are networks that can be created by stand-alone
personal computers without the need of any other infrastructure--one
example is music file swapping people do through such programs as Kazaa.

Each computer is both a server and receiver, or 'client'.

There are programs that enable people to build their own networks in
this way, and collaborate in a sort of ad-hoc private network that can
be set up in minutes. Encyrption is what keeps that information exchange
from being deciphered. Only invited members can become part of it.

Groove networks, for example, makes a collaboration platform on this
model. It is currently used by military, humanitarian organizations, and
many others. It has a very high level of encyrption.

For a free taste of encrypted P2P, you could check out
<www.foldershare.com>. It is a downloadable program that allows you to
create a little networked space between computers. I use it to keep my
music libraries updated between several computers. I copy music into the
library of one computer, and it is immediately replicated in the others.

Or you could try <www.skype.com> for a free (and fun) P2P voice and chat
communications tool. It, too, is encrypted.

I suspect that we are only beginning to see the power of these kinds of
networks. I think that a network of people is often smarter than the sum
of its individuals if everyone is being a good 'net-izen'.

Best wishes,

Brian King