One of the biggest hazards in research, in policy analysis, and in
"community of concern" dialogue is the hidden presumption that exists at
the start of any analysis or discussion. Such presumptions can fog
perception and analysis to the point where discourse is at cross
purposes.

We all have a pretty good notion of what is meant by "cyber-crime". We
may disagree on the scope of the definition but we do have a common feel
for its domain. I suspect that we all do not have a good, or common,
notion of what is meant by "cyber-terrorism". We do agree that what fits
our definition is by its very nature bad, but that does not mean we
agree as to what it is.

We risk confusion if we combine "cyber-terrorism" with "cyber-crime" in
the same analysis. I would suggest that the two streams of concerns be
treated seperately, even though in some cases the same organizations and
same tools are used to pursue the culprits. Terrorism may be a crime,
but as generally understood "cyber-crime" tends toward economic crimes
and/or the crimes of libel and slander. Cyber-terrorism is something
else.

Just exactly what do we mean by "cyber-terrorism"? It has to be more
than just the use of this digital venue to plan or carry out acts of
terrorism. That would mean we have telephone-terrorism,
postal-terrorism, buying gas-terrorism, etc.

What are we talking about when we use the term? We might want to modify
the Moderator's questions as follows:

Key questions:

1) How can international and regional organizations build effective
international legal frameworks that address cyber-crime. What role
should civil society play?

1a) How can international and regional organizations build effective
international legal frameworks that address cyber-terrorism? What role
should civil society play?

> 2) How can we ensure that developing countries participate equitably in
> creating international legal frameworks for each?

3) Are there developing countries with model legal frameworks that
foster global collaboration to thwart cyber-crime?

3a)  Are there developing countries with model legal frameworks that
foster global collaboration to thwart cyber-terrorism?

4) What dangers arise in creating an international legal infrastructure
to prevent cyber-crime? What checks and balances are needed?

4a) What dangers arise in creating an international legal infrastructure
to prevent cyber-terrorism? What checks and balances are needed?

> 5) What is needed to build trust and collaboration between the private
> sector and civil society? Are there concrete examples of "success
> stories"?
>
> 6) What tools and techniques are effective and appropriate for
> developing countries, e.g., collective knowledge management linked to
> security measures?

7) What consequences do developing countries face if they -- or donor
organizations -- ignore the threat of cyber-crime?

7a) What consequences do developing countries face if they -- or donor
organizations -- ignore the threat of cyber-terrorism?

Sam Lanfranco < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Distributed Knowledge Project
York University, Toronto