On 11 Aug 2008, at 13:00, Duncan Coutts wrote:
It's not clear to me that we've really bothered to find out. The last
evaluation in relation to ghc that I'm aware of was prior to the 2.0
release. My impression is that we've all complained about the darcs v1
problems (justly) but spent the most effort investigating things other
than darcs v2 which would be the easiest to upgrade to and not have the
problems of using two different systems for ghc vs other libs.

I converted the ghc repo to darcs2 (locally):

Getting file local history:

 * darcs changes --last 20 compiler/main/HscTypes.lhs

   very quick but prints only two patches

 * darcs changes compiler/hsSyn/HsTypes.lhs

   1m22s  (16s for the second time)

   Git <1s

 * darcs get ghc2  ghc-test  (creating a *local* branch)

   real    13m25.365s
   user    0m14.677s
   sys     0m29.541s

   (at least it seems it actually worked, though)

   git clone ghc g2  (the slow method of creating a local branch)

   real    0m6.742s
   user    0m0.335s
   sys     0m0.652s

* I haven't tested a remote pull yet. At 80 Kb/s, it should take about 15min to clone via Git (70 MB). A test of darcs would be interesting.

Finally, of course, we have to hope that Darcs2's conflict problems are actually solved. I also had some weird automerges with Darcs when pulling from Max' repository, so Darcs isn't flawless there, either (this seemed to be one of the main critiques of Git).

/ Thomas
--
Awareness is the enemy of sanity, for once you hear the screaming, it never stops.