On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:17 PM, DEP/Dodo <depfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that 2 step is officially enabled, I have a few residual questions,
> some of which were discussed previously.  However, I can't bear to search
> through all the posts both here and on my earlier 2-step thread (sans the
> word "graduation).
>
>    1. I enabled 2-step via the computer I will be taking with me at
>    times.  I made sure to trust that computer.  I understand that 2-step
>    affects getting into my Chrome/Google account.  What I don't understand is
>    I remain signed in to My Account (the cookies?) so that I can turn on the
>    computer and immediately go into Gmail.  How is Gmail then protected by
>    hackers and such?
>
> If you're taking a computer out of the house and that computer doesn't
require you to enter a password when logging into your Google account then
that's an issue.  If the computer is stolen, you have zero protection.  Any
computer you take with you should be requiring a password to login.

Only have the "stay signed-in" option enabled for a computer that you feel
is secure, i.e, one that stays inside a locked house.  But even then, if
someone breaks into your house and steals that computer and there's no
password security on your account, then they'll be able to get into it. So
there's a trade-off.  I don't require a password on the computer in my
house because I think it's safe enough as I don't take it anywhere and I
don't want the bother of always having to login, but if I'm robbed someday
I'll probably regret that choice.

As for your having selected to not require verification codes on this
computer that you take with you, I guess it's secure enough but ONLY if you
have the password protection still.  If the computer is stolen and you
don't require verification codes, then at least the password will prevent
the thief from accessing the account.  The only risk is if the thief
somehow also knows your password which would be very unlikely for just a
random thief.  The 2 step verification is protection against someone who
DOES know your password.

So please be sure to turn off that "stay signed-in" option on your notebook
or get to the bottom of finding out how it is that you don't need a
password to login.

--
Regards,

Kenneth