On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM, DEP/Dodo <depfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I don't understand your explanation, Marko.  Chrome is opening Gmail
> and Chrome is opening itself?  But (Chrome) Google requires a password?

​Chrome is a web browser.

Gmail and Gmail Offline are web applications. You use a web browser to
view/run these.​ The blue and white Gmail icon (Gmail Offline) is
essentially a shortcut to Chrome, opening a specific URL.

[image: Inline image 1]

You can create shortcuts like these with any web page/web app. Simply open
the site you want, then click the options button (3 bars, top-right) then
'More tools>Add to taskbar...'

As Chrome is a Google product, one can connect to one's Google account from
settings within Chrome itself. This allows Chrome to sync history, apps,
settings etc. across multiple devices.

​So, whether you open Chrome via it's own shortcut or any of the other
shortcuts, you are essentially signing in to your Google account via the
web browser and the session cookie is set, so whatever Google app (e.g.
Gmail) you open thereafter, your session will still be signed in.

​Make sense?​

​Ciao​

--
Marko