Diane,

Congratulations on getting your two-step verification going. I can't
imagine how we'd have figured that out.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM, DEP/Dodo <depfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I enabled 2-step via the computer I will be taking with me at times.  I
> made sure to trust that computer.  I understand that 2-step affects getting
> into my Chrome/Google account.  What I don't understand is I remain signed
> in to My Account (the cookies?) so that I can turn on the computer and
> immediately go into Gmail.  How is Gmail then protected by hackers and such?

I think it's mostly a compromise between convenience and security. I have
to log back into Google on occasion (most often, I suspect, when our cable
box gets a new IP address or I go somewhere with my laptop). I also have
two-step authentication enabled on PayPal and a couple other sites. It's
annoynig to always have to go through the two-step dance, but I'm willing
to put up with it for the extra security, especially for financial sites
like PayPal and sites I visit less frequently. Between Google itself,
Gmail, Google Groups, Google Docs, Picasa, and I don't know what all, it
would be a royal PITA to have to go through the two-step verification
process every time I visited a Google web property.

Skip