In a message dated: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:17:43 EDT
Bill Freeman said:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > >Suggestions for improvement welcome.
> >
> > Use perl.
> > --
>
>Use Python

Bill,

[ Note:  this is not intended as the beginning of a flame-fest! ]

I'm curious what Python has to offer in this area.  I know nothing
about the language really, and am quite curious about it.  The reason
I offered the suggestion of Perl isn't because it's my favorite
language, but because the language itself was developed to solve the
exact type of text-munging problem mod was encountering.

Is Python also a "text-munging" type language aimed at sysadmin type
problems?  Was it too, specifically designed to pick up where awk
and sed fell short?

Thanks,
--

Seeya,