Thanks for your replies. It turnss out the disk *is* CDAudio.

The friend who gave me the CD said it was mp3 files. As I'm not accustomed to burning copies of .cda files, I never thought that the disk could have .cda files on it. It did. So in essence, it was like a store-bought CD.

I never knew that Linux wouldn't read that format without ripping the files with CDParanoia or some such utility. I know that there is every sort of converter under the sun, but how come Linux won't just recognize the .cda file format? After all, KSCD and other players will recognize it. CDParanoia recognizes the format, how come a full-blown GUI install of Linux doesn't recognize CDAudio?

Well, I'm off to download CDParanoia and rip my cda to mp3. Oh heck, maybe I'll take this opportunity to figure out OggVorbis, and get past the mp3 licensing issues.

Thanks again.

- Greg

Greg Rundlett wrote:
Forgive me for being such a clueless Linux user. But it should be easier than this. I want to copy mp3 files from my cdrom to my hard drive, but I can't find the mounted files.

When I insert the cd, it *will* automatically play using KSCD, which is configured to use /dev/cdrom. Somehow KSCD can find the files, but I can't.

If I try to browse to /mnt/cdrom, there is nothing there. I've tried using the shell, and Konqueror. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, or maybe I don't understand how the CD filesystem is mounted. Any help would be appreciated.

If I close KSCD, and then issue the command (as root)
$ mount /dev/cdrom

This is the response:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
or too many mounted file systems

My /etc/fstab looks like this:
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

I'm searching the linuxdocs.org site now.