Hi all,

I just thought that I would pass this along: My DSL provider, DirecTV
DSL is going under, so I had to find a new one. I decided to go with
Speakeasy, since they seem to be fairly stable (for now). I was flipping
through their FAQ, and I came accross this entry:

Question

I want to run a server off of my DSL at home but am concerned about
security issues. What can help keep my network secure?

Answer

You can use firewall software on each machine for starters. ZoneAlarm
(www.zonelabs.com)  and BlackICE Defender (www.networkice.com) are two
recommended products. These will get you started by closing down ports,
logging intrusion attempts, etc.

If you are more of a hobbyist and a do-it-yourself type, a dedicated
machine to act as firewall might be your best choice. The Linux Router
Project is a good example, see: http:// www.linuxrouter.org/,
they have how-to's and lots of in-depth information.

If you need a permanent Set It and Leave It security device, but you
don't want to spend hours configuring a Linux box, we recommend a
hardware firewall. There are many types out there and prices vary. As
long as it is compatible with 10baseT ethernet and has the features you
want, it should work fine with your DSL.

I guess this answers all of my questions about just how Linux-friendly
they are. They even have setup guides for Linux systems (although they
are all for RedHat). I guess the DSL services are more accepting of
Linux users then the cable companies are.

C-Ya,
Kenny

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0