I have SDSL with G4 Communications out of Manchester (I *think*). The service is good and they don't use PPP, as Verizon does.

They use DHCP, but have it set up so that your NIC always gets the same IP address. (They do this by hard coding it for MAC address.)

I had to have a circuit installed at the house and ran some wire from the basement to the third floor office.

They don't care what you run at home. Once you get a connection and an IP number, it's all up to you.

I've had a couple problems, but nothing that was major or kept me offline more than a few hours.