I don't use a Mac but my understanding is that MacOS
X is basically just Mach with a BSD-style personality
called Darwin.  As apparent confirmation of that,
the guy at the desk next to me (who's running MacOS X)
just now cat'd out the /etc/passwd file on his machine
at my request.
My /etc/passwd is not blank. Here's the comments I find on MacOSX (10.2.2)

##
# User Database
#
# Note that this file is consulted when the system is running in single-user
# mode. At other times this information is handled by lookupd. By default,
# lookupd gets information from NetInfo, so this file will not be consulted
# unless you have changed lookupd's configuration.
##

Note that he'd never had occasion to
care about it before this and wasn't even sure it
would be there, though he's built code with gcc on
that machine and even installed Debian packages on it.
I do this all the time, thanks to the sourceforge project, fink.
http://fink.sf.net
A real lifesaver and low-stress way to learn, for installing ported open source software (over 2100 packages so far). I just installed Open Office today, and I'm trying to learn about how to make a script that will run the setenv commands to launch the app, without putting this stuff in my ~/.cshrc

--Michael