On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 16:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip]

>   (Insert snide remark about Red Hat's history of selective license
> compliance here.)

  Hey, it's a big job.  I wouldn't call it selective.  It just takes
time.  Take a look at the release notes and you'll see that pine is now
deprecated due to license issues.
  On the topic of 'why 9.0 and 8.1', I could have told you many moons
ago, as soon as NPTL started showing up, that this release was most
likely to be a major rev bump.  Reason?  Unlike some distributions
*cough* Slackware *cough*, there is a method to Red Hat's versioning
madness that's no secret: Binary compatibility.
  NPTL broke *lots* of things and many apps that run on 9.0 won't run on
8.0 (and vice-versa) without tweaking.  A bump in the major number is
consistent with Red Hat's policy in this case.

NPTL = Native Posix Thread Library
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator