On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Derek Martin wrote:
> This doesn't at all address my point, which is that if
> AT&T/Comcast/whoever they are today doesn't see fit to take action
> against me for violating my TOS, what business is it of AOL?
> Furthermore and more importantly, as Rob points out, outgoing SMTP is
> /NOT/ a violation of my TOS.  I do not need to run an smtp server /AT
> ALL/ to send out mail via SMTP.  Most Windows-based mail clients will
> happily do this for you (albeit to specifically named SMTP servers).
> There are also other programs which will send SMTP which do not
> function as mail servers...

Ya know, I said my part.  I put my .02 in... but I just can't sit here and
listen to this anymore.  Here's what it comes down to:  You ARE in IP
Space of known open relays.  You ARE in known residential space.  You ARE
paying a low premium for high bandwidth (compare it if you disagree).

AOL is doing the right thing here and they shouldn't have to answer to you
or anyone else for it.  They are stopping spam into their networks -
that's all that matters.  Sorry if they're impacting a couple of us, but
life goes on.  If you can't accept the fact that you're in know open relay
space, you're blind.  There are lists that keep track of open relays and
I'd be willing to bet that you can find >100 at any given time in our ip
space.

I'm completely behind any company that takes the brave step forward and
does this.  Yes, it pisses some people off, but at least it's a definite
step.  It brings the problem right out into the open for the people who
can make a difference to see.  If you disagree with their choice - talk to
Comcast, not AOL.  It's their poor enforcement of problem hosts that make
changes like these.

Ben

--

          "The gene pool could use a little chlorine."