On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, at 4:30pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Yes, and ISPs the world over are pissed, as the domain donotcall.gov
>> originally had no MX records, and yet they still sent out email as part
>> of the sign-up process.
>
> Now Ben, nobody would do this, nobody will believe that anybody would do
> this...oh....gov...nevermind.

  I might point out that it was a private contractor who is responsible for
this mess.

  This, I think, is a good case of what often happens in the Microsoft
world.  Somebody who doesn't know what they are doing gets the job because
their bid was the lowest.  It was the lowest bid because they don't have the
investment in learning and experience that a higher bidder does.  So said
person buys a bunch of servers, put Microsoft Windows and IIS and MS-SQL and
all that stuff on them, whips up some Visual Basic code, and unleashes it
upon the world.  They can do this because Microsoft has made it easy to do
the Wrong Thing.  However, nothing Microsoft can do can take the place of
knowing what the Right Thing to do is.

  (In fairness, I have to point out that we are seeing more and more of this
with Linux, too, and that it will likely get worse as Linux becomes "easier"
to use.)

  A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>