I think you may be on to what's happening, sounds like an
automated open relay probe.  One of the things I heard about
at a security conference a couple of years ago was automated
agents, they're like a virus or worm that doesn't propagate
wildly out of control but just scans and reports back to some
controlling agency when it finds vulnerabilities.  Think in
terms of the classic SQL slammer style "bring the net down"
attacks as amateurs, the pros run more stealthy info warfare
schemes that coordinate vectors and results for more targeted
attacks - or perhaps like this they have one vector that looks
for open relays, another will exploit the ones they select for
use, or maybe will load balance their toxic transmissions
across the available servers - so a pro can just automate the
delivery channel creation and then concentrate on the business
end of things, whatever that may be.  That could be anything
from innocuous spam delivery to virus epidemic releases.

Hmm, there may be an interesting potential counterstrike here,
what would it take to automate recognition of such trash and
generate notifications to the ISP owning the source address?
I'm interested in ideas and discussion on this in depth,
anyone seriously interested is invited to email directly as
well as or instead of posting to the entire list.

THANKS!

-Bruce McCulley
freelance CISSP