--- Jeff Kinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:13:20PM -0800, Michael Costolo wrote:
> > --- Jeff Kinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Yes it is, but its not Quicken.  My mom, and several other people won't
> > > consider changing, so its got to be Quicken on Linux.
> >
> > Nothing personal, but I honestly don't understand that mentality.
>
> I think you understand it.  You just don't like it or agree with it and
> I can understand why. (and if you "really really" don't understand it,
> well.... that is a problem.)

I understand resistance to change.  I don't understand the mentality that someone
will only operate within artificially narrow conditions.  It is as if someone would
refuse to drive if they couldn't drive a particular brand of car.  That I don't
understand.

> > Then perhaps they really have no reason to change operating systems.
>
> Oh - I thought we were trying to convince people to want to change, Never mind.
> :-)

I rather thought we were presenting the concept of options.  The reality that you
*can* use a computer to do real work (and play) on a computer that isn't running
Windows.  And do it well, no less.  I'm not interested in convincing people that
they want to change.

> > This function over form idea was a point I tried to make earlier.
>
> No, you missed.  In this case the FORM being identical as well as the
> function is what made this situation easy for the public windows-based
> users.  As long as they percieved no difference at the GUI or app level
> between what they were used to, they had no problems with the system
>
> Most of them thought they were using Microsoft Word!  (It was
> OpenOffice).

That only reinforces my point.  That they were *not* using Word did not prevent them
from doing the work they intended to do.  That they were fooled is largely
irrelevant.

> > Well, I'm assuming the user *wants* to run Linux and *wants* to be able to do
> the
> > same work, not necessarily just run the same programs.
>
> Wow.  I almost never run into people (Excepting technophiles) who want
> to run Linux.  Are you sure you don't need to check your assumptions?

Perhaps.  But like I said before, I'm not trying to convince people they need
change.  That sounds too much like work.

-Mike-

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not
got it"
-George Bernard Shaw