On Mar 6, 2004, at 11:55 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Install XEmacs, then run the tutorial.  Use the tutorial for even
just 15 minutes.  This isn't "reading documentation", it's actually
using (X)Emacs to edit the actual tutorial you're going through.

The tutorial explains the basics of using Emacs as an editor.  Within
5 minutes, you've already learned a tremendous amount about how to
use Emacs effectively.  I just jumped into the tutorial and within 30
seconds learned something I had previously either not known, or
completely forgotten :)

Seconded. For a time when I was in college (mid-90s) I didn't have a computer so I basically -had- to use my unix account for more than just email and usenet (via the vt100 terminals they had all over campus). I took a look at vi and emacs, but after reading the brief built-in emacs tutorial, I knew enough about how to do basic tasks that I was able comfortably move around within a file and write my papers.

I still know less than 1% of the total things you can know about emacs (now that I have a computer again, I use Eclipse/WSAD for all my development), but to this day, but I still find it useful when I have to ssh into a machine somewhere.

Plus, the basic navigation shortcuts work in all Cocoa-based MacOSX applications' text areas, so now I never even use my Mac's arrow keys anymore.

Erik