Derek Martin wrote:

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 04:24:14PM -0400, Jared Watkins wrote:

The move up there will be driven by the job I find... and it will have to be a job that's as cool as your winters with a solid company. The problem with those towns to the west of boston is the cost of living... as far as I can tell it's anywhere from 50-80% higher than charlotte.

That's going to pretty much be true anywhere within reasonable commuting distance of Boston. We have one of the highest costs of living in the country...

I'm finding that I'll be forced to live pretty far out just to find reasonable housing costs... and if I can live in NH and enjoy the extra tax benefits that brings.. all the better.

Well, as far as income tax goes, you can't. In fact, as a NH resident
working in MA, you will most likely pay MORE tax than a MA resident.
This is because the normal tax deductions for housing and similar MA
expenses are not available to NH residents. I discovered this a
couple of years ago, when I was working in MA and living in Nashua,
NH.

<snip>

I've live in MA and worked in NH. I paid MA tax.
I now live in NH and work in MA.  I pay MA tax.
The thing that really burns me is "Where in MA do I get to vote?"
Didn't we go to war over this at one time?

Adding fuel to the fire,
Kenny