On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, at 10:51pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ... does anyone have any recommendations for VPN end point appliances.

  Of all the appliances I've used, my favorite is NetScreen.  Outstanding
features and performance at a competitive price.  Gotta love that SSH CLI.

  SonicWall is okay.  They used to require a subscribe just to use
certificates, but I believe that has changed.

  I've had someone recommend SnapGear to me; it is apparently a Linux-based
appliance.  Haven't had a chance to actually look into it, though.

  For maximum flexibility, there is always the possibility of an SBC running
Linux out of flash.

> I ordered a pair of BEFSX41 LinkSys routers ...

  My experience with LinkSys VPN boxes is that they are flakey and have an
abysmal feature set.  They tend to need to be rebooted on a regular basis.
No support for public key crypto (come on', shared secrets went out in the
1980s).  Their firewall/filtering settings are a joke.

  I frequently recommend LinkSys NAT boxes for SOHO use, but IMO, they just
don't cut it for VPN use.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>