On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:43:30PM -0400, David Ecklein wrote:
> Derek-
>
> I would not be particularly interested in running Linspire on high end
> systems, but there may be some who are.  You are among that group, perhaps,
> and the Lynch review methodology may be appropriate.  But if you have a
> high-end system, you might aspire beyond Linspire, don't you think?

Personally, I have no specific interest in running Linspire at all.  I
can't speak for your interests in it, but from reading their website,
your interests don't seem to match up with what they see as their target
audience.  It's not designed to run on old systems.  It's designed to
be easy to use.  It's desinged to be a replacement for Windows XP and
MacOS X.  It's a modern Linux distro, designed for running modern
applications on modern systems, and the test system is reasonably
representative of the apparent target market.  The website includes
games as a target application...  By practical necessity that means
you need a modern system.

> Also, I admit I don't personally understand how people can get so
> emotionally invested in games that they will lay out $200 or more
> just for a graphics card.

Regardless, lots of them do.

> Even so, the review did not compare running with a plain vanilla VGA
> (whatever that might be), or contrast the performance of the FX5900
> under Linspire with anything else.  And Lynch presumably gets paid
> for this!

Yeah, and my point is I think that's perfectly reasonable, given that
it's a modern distro designed to run on modern systems.  You keep
insisting that the test system was a high-end system, and the
essential point I think you're missing is that by today's standards,
it really isn't.  It's a slightly-better-than-middle-of-the-road
system, and reasonably representative of the apparent target audience
of Linspire 5.0.

If you want to resurrect your ancient hardware, use an ancient distro,
or choose your applications very carefully.  Linspire 5.0 is not
intended for you.

> Are there really new systems that cost "not much more than what it will cost
> you to dispose of the old one"?

I used hyperbole.  Even still, in my town, I think it would cost about
$50 to dispose of a computer system (monitor and computer).  I forget
exactly, but I know it's a lot more expensive than I think it should
be.  You can buy a brand new one for about $200 if you're willing to
go low end and/or pay for an Internet service subscription with it,
and that might even include a printer.  Close enough.

-=-=-=-=-