[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> Bill Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> You cannot
>> prevent organizations, and especially government, from keeping track
>> of you and much of what you do.
>
> Last time I checked the US government got its power from the people.
> The people supply it with taxes and votes.  I find the assertion that
> citizens can't influence the government to be flawed.

And that's my point here.  I too, concede we already have a national
ID card in the form of a driver's license.  However, that doesn't mean
that a) our legislators should go ahead and begin overriding State's
Rights by creating a redundant system which is actually more
problematic than what is already in place, or b) that they should ruin
an otherwise decent bill with hogwash like this.

I find it more disturbing that this bill is essentially sailing
through the Senate with neither a debate on the floor, nor discussion
in any committee!  This is just another example of our gov't running
amok, and the law of unintended consequences resulting from this bill
is likely to be far more painful than people realize.  And just
sitting there doing nothing, and saying, "well, we already have
National ID cards, so why bother?" IMO, is nuts.  Just because there
is already a defacto standard doesn't mean we should further
institutionalize and accept an actual standard which is worse than the
default!  That's like saying, "Well, Microsoft already has a moslty
usable mail client, so we should just abandon the develop of
(thunderbird, evolution, gnus, mutt, pine, elm, etc.)!".

--

Seeya,
Paul