On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 05:52:53PM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 3/7/06, Neil Joseph Schelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This isn't something to get so bent out of shape for really.
>
>   Sure it is.  Didn't you know that Internet access is a
> Constitutional Right?  ;-)

Don't laugh Ben, its already been seriously discussed.  :-)

"Access to information shall not be abridged."
(Bujold, 1991, 358)

And the way our technological society is moving, eventually we must
~somehow~ insure that everyone  who wants access to the net
can get it it even if they can't pay for it.

Why?

One reason: It will be cheaper to deliver many of the government
managed services to persons in need via the web than any other way
and since some of those services are either mandated or court ordered,
we (The taxpaying citizens), might as well get it done at the lowest
cost.

Another reason is that persons who don't have some net access will be
(are!) seriously disadvantaged in a way that is roughly comparable to
being functionally illiterate has been a disadvantage for the past 100
years.

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail