On 6/4/06, Tech Writer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
... 150 MHz Pentium ... 40MB RAM ... Some of my son's friends
have decided to learn Java this summer ...

 Be warned that Java may be unbearably slow on that system.  (Given
that it's irritatingly slow on much newer systems.)

This system can only hold a floppy or CD drive (not both at the same
time).

 First question to ask would be, "Can it boot from CD"?  Check the
BIOS "SETUP" program for options.

 If that's not an option, another question might be, "Does it support
hot-swapping the FD and CD modules"?  If so, that might be a workable
solution.  Most of the Linux install systems I've encountered load
from floppy to memory and then don't touch the FD again.

 Another possibility is a network install.  If the laptop has either
onboard Ethernet, or you have a PCMCIA Ethernet card you stick in it,
you should be able to boot from floppy and then do the rest over the
'net.

 If none of that pans out... it should be possible to do a "two
stage" install, as you describe.  You'll need several pieces, though.
One piece is a small, bootable DOS partition on the hard drive.
Another piece is LOADLIN.EXE, which is a Linux boot loader that runs
on DOS.    Google finds it.

 Finally, you need copies of the Linux kernel and initial RAM disk
image files from the install system of the distribution, along with
the kernel command line from same.  It should be possible to extract
these from the distribution's install CD, but it might be a bit
tricky.

 With all those pieces put together, you can stick the Linux install
CD in the drive, boot DOS, then use LOADLIN to boot the install
system, pointing it to the CD drive.

 What specific version of Ubuntu do you have?  I might have the same
version handy, and thus might be able to provide more specific
assistance.

-- Ben