On 2/13/07, Paul Lussier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ben has often asked why I don't use IMAP.

 I don't think I actually said that.  I mainly complain that I can't
use MH and friends with IMAP.  And go off on long, rambling tangents
about IMAP functionality.  And continuously reiterate that IMAP rocks.
And claim everyone should use IMAP.  Okay, I guess I effectively did
say that.  Scratch this whole paragraph.  ;-)

There's your answer!  IMAP simply can not do that, at least not as
simply (as far as I've ever been able to figure out).

 Well, IMAP and mail processing (filtering, sorting, scripting,
folding, spindling, mutilating, etc.) are really about two different
things.  IMAP is for accessing mail once it's processed.

 It is very true that there's nothing like a standard mechanism for
the processing side of things (although procmail comes close, at least
in the nix world).  There's even less in the way of a standard
protocol for configuring any such mechanism over a network.

 But, since they aren't related, I've always applied different tools
to the question of filtering.  I've always combined my use of IMAP
with server-side filtering/scripting.  I use the mail "server" to do
all my mail processing, and my mail client(s) to do my mail reading.
(In my case, the IMAP server has sometimes been my own PC.)

 Your example does point out to me, though, that I might well have
benefited from using MH as the storage format on the IMAP server, for
tricks just like that (much better than mucking around with, say, mbox
files).  Now I wish you'd beaten that into my head a few years ago.
Then again, maybe it took this long to penetrate my thick skull.

 Hmmm, come to think of it, are there IMAP servers that properly
support the MH format?  (I know UW-IMAP claims to, but UW-IMAP claims
a lot of things....)

(my rational for switching was/is that the command line access has
become somewhat less important than some features gnus offers).

 Since we're all here already, what do you like/dislike about gnus?
(I've never used it, myself.)

-- Ben