On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:59:12AM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:

>  Your example does point out to me, though, that I might well have
> benefited from using MH as the storage format on the IMAP server, for
> tricks just like that (much better than mucking around with, say, mbox
> files).  Now I wish you'd beaten that into my head a few years ago.
> Then again, maybe it took this long to penetrate my thick skull.
>
>  Hmmm, come to think of it, are there IMAP servers that properly
> support the MH format?  (I know UW-IMAP claims to, but UW-IMAP claims
> a lot of things....)

When you say you'd benefit from using MH as the storage format, do you
mean because it's one file per message?  (I assume so, since the example
was about being able to 'rm' each message when it's been identified
correctly.)  If so, Maildir has a similar property, and is supported by
a number of IMAP servers.  OTOH IMAP is somewhat about hiding such
things from the user anyway; you have to go behind the scenes to pull
such tricks if you don't want to do it via the IMAP protocol.

mm