Ben Scott writes:

>   Then there's the fact that every moron programmer in the world (and
> there are legions of moron programmers) assume integers and pointers
> are 32-bits, and their code breaks horribly if recompiled for a 64-bit
> architecture.  So even if you have source, it's not just a matter of
> recompiling, in most cases.

The reason why we find ourselves in this mess is because we treat
programming as a task (or, some would even say, an "art") instead of
what it actually is:  engineering.

Code that causes the compiler to emit warnings, doesn't contain
reasonable asserts, contains lots of casts and "cute" union tricks,
was "designed" with nary a thought about endian/sizeof issues, and is
uncommented reminds me of carpentry jobs in which I've seen windows
installed without flashing, doors that are crooked, and joists are
just sawed through haphazardly.

Would you pay a carpenter for such work?  Nope.  Do programmers
produce such work?  Frequently, yes.  What is this attributable to?:
market forces, time-to-market pressure, ignorance, apathy, etc.

I was pretty happy the day that somebody took a network protocol stack
that I had written, compiled it on a 64-bit system that I did not have
access to, whereupon it compiled without warnings and WORKED
CORRECTLY.

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E              Never could stand that dog.
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                   -- Tom Waits