On Monday 05 March 2007 09:04 am, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> o the second is that the strain is put on the solder joints of the tuner
> card, which might be undesirable, but has not yet caused a failure mode
> that we know of.
>
> >Why does everything have to suck so much?
>
> Usually economics, but sometimes just oversight.  In this case I would
> lean towards oversight, since I would consider this a premium board, and
> would be willing to pay a dollar or two more for something ruggedly
> constructed.

I've got a tuner card in my Myth box that is of similar construction where the
barrel came out of the tuner module on the card and at first glance really
didn't appear to be very well held on.

I've come to appreciate this method of connection since I've had my box in
places where too much strain was on the cable.  I'd rather it broke there,
where it's easy to fix than snapping the actual tuner module off the PCI card
or something.  I'm guessing I'm not the only one whose positioned these with
a little too much tension on those wires, especially given how heavy cable
coax cable is.
-N