Ben Scott wrote:

 I'm curious as to what brand(s) you do like.  (Just curious what you
like.  I am not interested in actually getting into discussions about
why this or that should be considered objectively better, and I doubt
the rest of the list is, either.  :)  Such discussions usually go
nowhere useful anyway... :)  )

I've never had problem mixing home and pro gear. For instance... if you want speakers that don't color the sound why not look into near field reference monitors. I've used a set of Alesis Monitor Ones for a number of years as my main set. They are not too expensive these days and if paired with other good components will sound great.
Just my two cents...
Jared