On 4/25/07, Bob King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/25/07, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Right, 'ht' just reports whether the CPU knows it has hyperthreading
> or knows it doesn't have hyperthreading.  This tripped me up for a
> good hour once!
> I have a 2.5GHz P4 here without hyperthreading, but it knows that it
> doesn't:
>    $cat /proc/cpuinfo
>    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat
>    pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtpr
 That seems a bit odd.So you are saying the flag indicates only that it
understands that flag, rather than has that capability? Wouldn't it be more
useful to show what capabilities it HAS rather than those it knows about?

 The flag itself means you can ask the question.  :-)

 Look for siblings : 2 in the cpuinfo.  If it has the HT flag, but
siblings is 1, it answers the question.

 Think of it as a matrix question.  'Just remember, there is no
spoon, err, HT.'

--
-- Thomas