On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 14:41 -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On May 19, 2007, at 14:52, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
>
> > So far as I know, T1 connections use DSL between the central office
> > and
> > your premises.  The line card emulates the old T1 serial protocol and
> > converts between T1 signaling for your router/phone gear and DSL
> > signaling back to the central office.
>
> That brings up an interesting scheme - I've been told more than once
> that even if you can't get DSL in your area you can always order a T1
> anywhere.
True.  If you are too far out for DSL, you'll presumably be getting the
old T1 signaling all the way.

> If they're being provisioned on DSL lines these days, I
> wonder if I could order a T1, have them fix the induction coil
> problems on our backhaul to get it out here, then cancel the T1.
If you are doing month-to-month billing, there will also be an
installation charge.  Finally, there is no way to force them to use the
actual T1 wires for your DSL service.

I never put this to the test, but back in my ISP days, I was told that
callerID required a clean line.  Verizon would clean up the wires to
make callerID function.  The wires would then be suitable for DSL.

However, you are a long way from the Lebanon Central Office
(603-448-xxxx looks like Lebanon based service).  The only way they
could make DSL work would be to provision it from a SLC.  I am not sure
they are willing to do that.  Possibly the gear Verizon has been using
in SLC's doesn't support DSL.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp