On Sun, May 20, 2007 4:47 pm, Ben Scott wrote:
> Lloyd Kvam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>>> So far as I know, T1 connections use DSL between the central office
>>> and your premises.

> I Don't know if Verizon even offers these services.  I
> know that most asymmetric DSL being delivered by Verizon in this area
> is a 1-pair (2-wire) system, while a T1 is a 2-pair (4-wire) system,
> so the Verizon ADSL I've seen is not the same thing as a T1.
>   When line quality is bad, T1 installation will often involve running
> a brand new copper pair (or reconditioning existing pairs) the entire
> distance from the CO to the demarc.  This is typically billed per foot
> and can run into the five figures if you're sufficiently far out in
> the woods.

I know that, at least in some (business) locations, Verizon was running
fiber to the basement, and then provisioning the T1 or other service from
that.  Our suite had the standard T1 connection coming in, but when we tried
to change the ownership of the line, we needed a "new" T1 circuit.  Since they
were "out of" copper pairs coming into the building, we had to wait for them
to run fiber to the basement.  The new T1 used the same wires and line
interface,
but it only went as far as the 19" rack in the basement.  And, no, just because
they then had fiber coming into the building did not mean that we could then get
FiOS.  That is a "different" fiber.  All of this (except my observations of the
new rack and the old T1 wire and interface) are according to the very helpful
folks at Verizon, so I won't vouch for it.

Fran