On 6/21/07, Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/21/07, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Shawn K. O'Shea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Without going on my typical rant about Solaris/x86 ...
>   Okay, I'm curious, and this list has been starved for *nix-related
> discussion lately.  What's your typical rant?  :-)

  An easy one to target is the fact that every few years, Sun decides
to phase out Solaris x86, then rekindle it once again.

They tried to phase out Solaris 9.  Solaris 10 was actively developed on AMD
chips.  Solaris 11 is being actively developed on AMD and Intel.  Sun now
sells servers based on AMD (and Intel recently).

Solaris x86 isn't going to go away.  I could see the Sparcs going away at
the low end.

  Additionally, one of the 'features' is Linux binary compatibility,
so Solaris x86 can use Linux drivers, as it's own support of x86
hardware is limited.

I'm not sure the binary compatibility helps with drivers.  I know they're
working on Zones that will allow linux to run inside (BrandZ).

 So in the end, you have questionable backing of the product in
general, but to make up for lack of support, it can use Linux drivers,

I don't think this is true nowadays.

and even run Linux apps.  So one has to ask.  What's the point?  :-)

ZFS!  Dtrace.  Zones (though Linux has solutions here too).  A stable API
with backward compatibility (Solaris 2.6 Sparc apps will run on Solaris 10.
Will Redhat 6.0 apps run on RHEL 5.0?).  Stability and scaling under load.
Multiple SMP (I think x86 goes to 32 CPUs.  Sparc goes to hundreds or
thousands)

As a desktop, I think Linux has it all over Solaris though not as much as in
the past.  As a server, I can see places where Solaris has advantages.  And
Linux has many advantages too.