On 6/21/07, Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/21/07, Cole Tuininga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:52 -0400, Thomas Charron wrote:
> > So one has to ask.  What's the point?  :-)
> ZFS?  :)

  ZFS is nice, yes.  But does it offer a large enough benefit to
justify a shift to an entirely different operating system?

For a file server, I think so.  ZFS will detect errors due to a bad bad
cable, controller, controller/disk firmware.  No other filesystem will.

  Someone give me a reason BESIDES ZFS, which is relatively new, one
would want to run Solaris x86 over Linux or BSD?

Dtrace.  You can run your linux binary or java application under Solaris for
debugging and optimizing.

Both of these are coming in MacOSX 10.5 and in FreeBSD.  Linux is working on
Systemtap and I've seen BTFS.

Sun's CDDL isn't compatible with the GPL in the kernel so clones are being
developed.  If the clones are good enough, there shouldn't be a reason to
switch.