On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:10:41PM -0400, Ben Scott wrote:

> >>   Au contraire contraire, please do not.  Abuse of "Reply All" causes
> >> List Header Cancer!
> >
> > Here's a solution for both of you.  Use a mailer that supports
> > Mail-Followups-To:, set it to do what you think the right thing is,
> > and get what you want.
>
>   Part of what people are complaining about is how other people's
> behavior affects other other people, not just doing what the one
> person wants.  In other words, some people might think adding everyone
> to the Cc header is a good thing, but if I'm one of the people who
> don't, I'm still getting my address stuffed into a Cc header,
> regardless of what I set my headers to.

In other words, a local configuration problem on the reply end.
Mail-Followups-To is designed to fix this problem, by letting the
sender specify how they want replies to be handled, in a way that
lets the replying client software comply automatically.

Sure, the person generating the reply can still choose to ignore the
original sender's stated preferences, but that is a social problem.

>   Not that I really care *that* much; I just wanted to clarify that
> this is not a "getting software on my computer to do what I want"
> problem.

I'd argue that it is exactly that kind of problem.  Unfortunately,
the solution requires support on both ends.  On the bright side,
neither of those ends is the list software, so arguments about
misdirected replies can be handled privately instead of on-list.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-