On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Coleman Kane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That spot of memory is off-limits because the kernel needs to preserve it
> in the event that another process wants to enter a vm86 mode.

  If a process switches to virtual x86 mode, wouldn't virtual memory
page for address 0 (which includes the software interrupt table) get
mapped to a per-process page in physical memory?  Would that have
anything to do with the RAM at physical address 0x64?

>  What problem is the memory defect actually causing that is troublesome ...

  The OP stated, "Every few weeks some Linux program would go wacky.
Each time is was a different program and a different wackiness.
(There were not enough wacky observations to conclude that the same
effect in the same program never ever repeated.)  Reboot restored
proper operation."

  He hasn't mentioned anything that really proves the wackiness is due
to the bad RAM, although I think that's a reasonable assumption to
make at this point.  My fear would actually be that the bad cell at
physical address 0x64 is just the tip of the iceburg, and that other
cells are developing issues over the week-long periods he mentions.

-- Ben