On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Bob King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> According to the Information Week article:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207603339
> One of the more interesting bits was that the attacks are shifting to a more
> distributed model to avoid detection by IDS/IPS systems, using botnets.
> Many distros come with ssh installed by default, and often with root access
> allowed by default. I always thought that disabling root access via ssh is a
> good idea, but reading this I would assume it would be a good idea to just
> deactivate password access via ssh all together and limit access to systems
> with keys known to the host. Moving the sshd to a non-standard port would be
> another move, but would that stop more than the most basic tools?
> I would be interested in hearing recommendations from other folks on the
> list.

  sshguard is a nice tool.  It monitors syslog and automatically adds
iptables rules to drop packets from the source of an arbitrary number
of incorrect logins.

http://sshguard.sourceforge.net/

  Note, many of the installers don't set some things up, and require
manual configuration.  See:

http://sshguard.sourceforge.net/doc/setup/setup.html

 Specifically, the section in
http://sshguard.sourceforge.net/doc/setup/blockingiptables.html as
they show the commands, but at least the Ubuntu package doesn't
actually add those rules to any of the rc startup files.  :-D

--
-- Thomas