> I think I see where we're misunderstanding eachother here....  It
> sounds like you're intepreting me to mean that all the "new users"
> would be members of COSIG.

We're not misunderstanding anything, we're talking about two entirely
separate groups;

You're talking about an activist/outreach group that partly conducts
workshops for new users

We're talking about a group by and for regular users

I am not at all interested in your outreach group idea, I have heard you
speak about it on several accounts and the entire model is disfavorable to
the type of community building I'd like to see and what I've seen be
sucessful in the past in many cities/groups.

IFSA has survived and thrived because a large number (possibly a majority)
of the people doing much of the work are self proclaimed non-geeks.  Of
course you need people around who know stuff, but people stick with
communities which they're a part of, otherwise they're just patrons.

The booths and tables that IFSA does regularly need little to no group
organization, one or two people do most of the paperwork, some traffic on
the list, materials are collected at someone's house beforehand, and then
people show up.  There's no "special interest group" within IFSA doing this
or separate meetings about where people are going to table next.

I disagree, quite strongly, with that idea.  There are people in
> GNHLUG who want to promote Linux.  Unfortunately, they're
> geographically quite spread out.

That's something this mailing list can be used for.  If you want to do
something, and don't have enough people, post "hey, I want to table at X
location/coneference, will anyone do it with me?"

Forming a SIG to have regular activism/outreach meetings is not going to
suddenly make people more interested in doing those things.

Even if you strongly feel the need for an outreach SIG, it's not like a "new
SIG" slot has opened up and there's a competition over it.  Go do it.  Stop
disrupting the Ubuntu SIG discussion.