> > I have been and will continue to be involved in advocacy/outreach.  That
> is
> > different from being part of the group you're talking about.
> >

> Um.  That *is* the purpose of the COSIG idea.

Forming a group specifically for those activities and having regular
"outreach organizing" meetings is very different from the model I've seen be
successful.

In fact, most activist groups that try operating on that model rarely last.

The model that seems to work best is individuals or small groups, such as
you and Matt, just going out doing it seems to work best.  This is how a lot
of stuff in GNHLUG seems to get done, including the SFD organizing going on,
and I would speak up against an implication that your proposed SIG is where
everyone who wants to do advocacy/outreach in GNHLUG has to go through.

If you want to grow it, do something that you and Matt haven't been doing -
drop an email to the list saying that you're going to be doing something and
inviting people to join you.  It may not be every time, but every so often
someone may have some free time, and if they're energized by the activity
and don't find it socially uncomfortable they may join you the next time
too.

Forming a SIG could only bring more people to the party, increasing the
> frequency
> and amplitude of our successes. :^)

This is the core disagreement, I think.

I believe you should form a group because there's energy and interest for
doing so.

You seem to believe that you form a group in order to raise energy and
interest.

I think Matt's attempting to do this through the LoCo shows quite clearly
that the model you're promoting doesn't scale, and it also shows that you
really don't need a large group involved to be effective.

But hey, I'm not going to tell you how to spend your every third Friday
night of the month.  If there's a group of people wanting to do it, I have
no disagreement with them doing that.

Yeah.  Unfortunately, I lost my ability to read minds about six months ago.
> ;^)

80% of human communication is non-verbal (body language).  If you want to be
successful in working with people, either in a social group or when doing
advocacy/outreach, you need to learn how to read body language.

Spoken from someone who had to learn body language as a skill (I'm
autistic), you may want to pick up a book on the subject and spend some time
working on that.  It'll make you a much better advocate and improve your
ability to socialize.