On Aug 3, 2008, at 03:34, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

> A bank in Brasil was using OS/2 for their OS in their ATM machines.

It's my understanding that most US-based banks which use text-based
ATM's, or 'light-graphical' ATM's are also using OS/2.  I have no
experience, just folks have told me that.  The 'snazzy' ones are of
the variety where you can find amusing BSoD snapshots online.

But, to the original question, one doesn't get a local bank to switch
to Linux for any reason - because they never selected it; they have a
vendor which selected it.  A large bank may write their own ATM
software, but most are 3rd-party.  So, that would be the area of
focus, the vendors.  And I suspect the vendors are highly motivated
to keep things as proprietary as possible.  It could be the royalty
savings would trump that.  My guess is their bidding isn't highly
competitive (non-commodity product) and they happily pass along
royalty costs.

Now... if there was an open spec, an open source implementation, and
COTS hardware such that a local bank could 'just' build an ATM.
Well, best ask a banking IT guy how that might shape up, but at least
it would have some chance of happening that's > 0.  If one were
interested in working on such a project, finding a local bank owner
who's well-fed-up with 'both' (for lack of knowledge other than what
I see locally) of the ATM vendors might be a place to start.  Selling
ready-to-go packages for much less than the proprietary guys might be
a business model.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/