Šarūnas,

>What was the transfer speed for the latter? Seek times for both? One
>thing is to store data, another --- getting it, or finding it at all,
>in time, that is...

Well, at first I was simply going to write you about how I was talking
about a 30+ year old disk drive from a computer company that has been
defunct for over ten years, but then I did a google and on the first
try, in less than two seconds, I came up with this:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/rp06.html

I find the history interesting, because they say the RP06 was equivalent
to an IBM 3330 Model II disk drive, and I remembered them being about
one-quarter GB, but the history says they are only 178 MBytes formatted.
I do notice they are talking about 36 bit words for a DEC 20, so
formatting could definitely change the capacity of the disk pack, but in
further checking I think that the RP06 was about 176-178 MBytes, so the
size ratio to the two Terabyte disks is even greater than 8000
times. :-)

The page also talks about "upgrading" the drives to "sealed", which
would allow a greater capacity (probably by also replacing some heads).
Note that the unsealed RP06 drives had a removable disk platter that had
20 heads and 19 recording surfaces.  The twentieth head was used for
timing marks (i.e. "real" formatting, not just creating a stub directory
structure).

You are right about the concept of "holding" vs "finding".  The machines
of the day (VAXen, PDP-11/70s) were machines that typically had 1-4
Mbytes (mostly toward the lower end) of main memory and cycle times of
one million CISC instructions per second.

But the other concept, of "finding it in time", leads to a discussion of
batch processing, where times were not measured by the impatient
drumming of fingers on the desktop versus really good indexing for
'searching', "capacity" vs "speed".  Even today there are many
applications that simply need to have the data online for that one weird
old guy who would like to see it again every ten, fifteen or thirty
years.

Warmest regards,

maddog
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.