> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:15:03 -0400
> From: "Alan Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> OK folks, I have finally gotten back to this and have something of a new
> twist on the subject.  I have followed Ben's instructions except the bit
> about creating com1 and com2 configs (which is very cool) because I only

> will try again soon hoping things will clear them selves out over time.  Any
> suggestions on resetting buffers or other ideas that might help would be
> much appreciated in the mean time.

Serial is tough in comparison to other technologies because it has so
many different parameters (baud rate, parity, stop bits, IO port, IRQ,
flow control, DTE/DCE, any I'm missing?)

Assuming this in on a PCI-based PC (I have to admit I haven't read the
entire thread), you might try "cat /proc/interrupts" while mc has the
port open.  This will show you if anything else is trying to share the
interrupt with the serial port.  Personal experience has shown me that
serial ports sometimes don't like to share. :)

See also /proc/ioports and /sbin/setserial.