On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 12:33 -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2008, at 09:15, Jefferson Kirkland wrote:
>
> > I have done some research already and see that htere is a yumupgrade
> > option.
>
> I usually use yum upgrade between consecutive major versions but have
> never been successful leapfrogging major versions with it.  In theory
> you can though.

Due to an installer regression in Fedora 9 that has yet to be fixed for
F10 (installer pukes on Samsung hard drives that have a '/' in their
model name), I had to install F8 on a box last week, and opted to go
straight to rawhide from there. It worked fine after sorting out some
things manually to get the sysvinit to upstart bits right, but was
certainly not entirely straight-forward, and this was a minimal install
to begin with. So yeah, FC6 straight to F9... Not recommended, unless
you *really* know what you're doing. Incremental upgrades from 6 to 7 to
8 to 9 might be less pain and suffering.

> In sufficiently complex scenarios I've bit the bullet and yum
> upgraded multiple times in succession, but only when that's easier
> than a reinstall preserving /home and /usr/local.  The major reason
> to do it this way is the lack of downtime.  Fedora 9 does need a
> reboot eventually to get Upstart fully going, and one of them (fc6,
> fc7?) switched block devices from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*, so watch out
> for that.   Google 'yumupgradefaq' for the page with all the tips and
> tricks.
>
> If you're going to do multiple machine upgrades this way, you're best
> off creating local repository mirrors.  'cobbler reposync' makes this
> fairly painless.  Three machines seems to be about the data transfer
> tipping point, and even with fewer if you trickle in updates an
> argument can be made for the less-bursty nature of that.

Good suggestions here. Another thing I recommend for a live upgrade is
doing the upgrade in bits and pieces -- don't do the entire yum upgrade
in one big transaction, break it up into bite-sized chunks. For example,
with desktop boxes, I like to hit yum, xorg, gnome, kernel, glibc and
gcc in their own little groups (yum upgrade foo\*), then maybe a few
other groupings, before a final yum upgrade. Makes it easier to see
where things run afoul w/an upgrade if you do it a little at a time.

--
Jarod Wilson